Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Sculpture - Tom Otterness Automata piece

We have a new show at the Shoe Factory Art Co-op (http://www.shoefactoryarts.com/CallforArtists.html) with the title of "Unconditional Love: Cats and Dogs". Due to the Tom Otterness sculptures going up here in Rochester this show is a tribute to our feline and canine best friends!


"Otterness is being exposed as a killer. In 1977, he made a film in which he "rescued" a dog from a shelter, tied it up and, as the animal wagged its tail, shot it dead. The movie, which Otterness called "Shot Dog Film," repeatedly shows the brutal execution.
Otterness has been apologizing for his despicable act ever since it came to light a few years ago and began to threaten his lucrative public support. In 2008, he said, "Thirty years ago, when I was 25 years old, I made a film in which I shot a dog. It was an indefensible act that I am deeply sorry for. Many of us have experienced profound emotional turmoil and despair. Few have made the mistake I made. I hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me." By James Panero - Daily News

So I have decided to do a Kinetic Sculpture piece where you turn the crank and a dog stands up, raises a front leg with a gun it it, shoots a carved Tom Otterness with a bang. Then the Tom Otterness figure then collapses. As you continue to turn the crank it all goes back to the setup and then repeats. 
Should be fun! So I have working on my Tom Otterness Automata piece this week and after a day of thinking, I tinkered for a couple of hours and came up with this method to have the dog stand up point its leg at the Tom Otterness figure so that it can shoot him! Ouch!




2 comments: