Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Business day - Creating Inventory spreadsheet for artwork.

 OK! Had to deal with the business of being a real artist. I had to go and do a full inventory of all of my work that is here in the Studio, storage and hanging on the walls of the house. Pictures, measurements, descriptions and Cost Of Goods. Sure glad that I have a business background or Cost of Goods would have driven me crazy.

 Put it all in an Excel spreadsheet with all the correct formulas to calculate my cost of inventory and other such things. Sure will make dealing with taxes this year and next a lot easier. It also helped me see how much work I have created in a year and to see where of it went and how much I made in profit. None yet... Sucks but at least I will know when that corner will be turned. My Spreadsheet will tell me so...

I read and reread the book "ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career" by Heather Darcy Bhandari, Jonathan Melber. While it talks a lot about how to deal with Art Gallery's and other stuff, it was very clear that we as business owners and producers that we must take care of business or some one else will do it to you if you are not careful. 

Since I'm trying to sell online and in local shows I do not need the Art Gallery section yet but its handy to know and they have lots of legal information there that all artists should pay attention to.

Also the web site http://www.artstaxinfo.com/artists helped me with all the tax implications of selling art and how to pay sales tax etc.

All good stuff and nice to know but I've got 3 days to finish a painting for the next show. So...

Here is a view of what I put together to keep track of my work and inventory.


 If you would like to have a copy of the spread sheet cut and paste this link into your web browser and you can then use my Google Drive to down load the file. 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-syyxfjlYK2MXhHS1R2RklaWmM/edit

6 comments:

  1. Doug, I am looking for a inventory tool to organize my Dad's art work. Your Excel spread sheet looks perfect for what I want to do. Would it be possible for you to send my a copy?

    Cool work of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tumlauf,

      I have added a way for you to get the spreadsheet from my Google Drive and download it from there. Please cut and paste the following link into your web browser and then download it from there.

      If you have any questions please drop me a line.

      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-syyxfjlYK2MXhHS1R2RklaWmM/edit

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just came across this in my search for some way to keep track of my paintings. Is it still working well for you? I'd love a copy if you're still willing and able to share. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still ready to share, you will have to update the dates but its ready to go. Just drop me an email address where I can send it to you.

      Delete
    2. Doug,
      I'm an artist and would like to see your spreadsheet.
      Thanks
      Gabrielle

      Delete
    3. Hi Gabrielle,

      I have added a way for you to get the spreadsheet from my Google Drive and download it from there. Please cut and paste the following link into your web browser and then download it from there.

      If you have any questions please drop me a line.

      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-syyxfjlYK2MXhHS1R2RklaWmM/edit

      Delete